Thursday, June 3, 2010

Give the Drummer Some!


The Man who really introduced me to drumming, just flew away... My "Uncle Willie" passed away last month. Ironically it was the same weekend that we lost Francisco Aguabella (1925-2010) and Lena Horne. Somone once told me, "Death comes in three's."
I think I see what they mean.
Willie Lawrence sent me first snare drum, gave me my first drum books (books by the way that I still have and use today with my students), and he gave me my first opportunity to play on a professional stage and get a taste of what it felt like! He was a great man!
He was a successful and skilled Army musician. He prepared and composed cadences for high school and college marching bands. Most importantly to me, he married my Aunt Mary and became part of our family.
Without a doubt he's had the greatest musical influence on me thus far in my life. I'll miss you man! Your memory and spirit and crazy wit will forever be a part of me and whenever I play, you know it's for you too!
Ashe, Ashe, Ashe

No comments:

Post a Comment